This app is now called Framelapse - Time Lapse Camera.
Regardless the fact that Android phones come with many camera options, there are always some features missing and apps to make your photography more fun. When it comes to TimeLapses, a 3rd party app is mandatory.
We have recently noticed a new app called Droid TimeLapse
on the Android Market and decided to put it up to a test. The results have amazed us for many reasons.
Before going deep into the details, we can say that this app is really simple to work and won't require you to be an expertise nor lots of free memory on your phone as in other similar apps. You only have to be sure that you have Android 4.0.1. PresentationDroid Timelapse
has 2 versions on the store, one free and another paid (Droid Timelapse Pro
) which is available for 2,21€ and adds some extra and useful features.
This app is exclusively for timelapses and don't expect any other camera features. The description says that records high quality TimeLapse clips effortlessly thanks to the simple, fast and intuitive interface and our tests have confirmed just that. It's really very simple and fast to do a TimeLapse with this app.
The free version of the app is fully functional and doesn't contains any ads nor ask you to buy it at some point, which we really enjoyed it. We admit that this is not very common in the market so we congratulate Neximo Labs for it. 2. Features
The Free version of Droid Timelapse
main features are:
* If supported by your device's camera hardware.
- Frame capture rate (from 0.1 second to 60 seconds).
- Recording delay timer (No delay or from 1 second to 60 seconds).
- Maximum duration of video (Infinite or from 6 seconds to 1 Hour).
- Supports highest, 1080p, 720p, 480p and lowest video resolution.
- Output video is high quality mp4 format.
- No images stored which saves a lot of space.
- Touch to focus in "auto" mode and diverse focus modes (Auto, infinity, normal or macro).
- White balance. (Auto, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Daylight, Cloudy-Daylight)
- 18 different Color Effects.
- Flash settings. (Off, Auto, On, Torch)
- Displays length of time-lapse video being recorded.
- Dynamic preview size and no preview cropping.
- In-App Purchase Option.
The Droid Timelapse Pro version
main features are:
- Custom frame capture rate with frame interval up to 24 hours.
- Supports display timeout (SCREEN OFF) while recording to reduce battery drain.
- Notification LED option while screen is off.
- Set custom duration of output video.
- Video playback rate options.
- Set auto exposure during recording as fixed or continuous to remove flickering.
- Background lock if secure system lock is enabled after screen is turned off.
- Exposure compensation.
One note on the Pro Version is that a small share is given to charity, which we think it's very kind from the developer... 3. Interface
The interface is very simple, clean and intuitive. The left menu (with buttons) is a scrollable bar and from which you can access all the available options. A quick demonstration of the interface is shown on our video.4. Results
When doing a TimeLapse, you need to understand what you pretend to achieve in order to set the right settings to obtain your pretended final result. Some of the tests we made demonstrated just that: wrong settings lead to a bad TimeLapse movie. So, if you seem do not gather the pretended results at the beginning, you must try to understand what you are doing wrong.
After you gained the perception on what are the correct settings, you can start doing serious stuff. Regardless some bad reviews on the store, for us, the Droid TimeLapse
worked just fine, giving better results that were expecting.
After you stop recording, the timelapse is automatically done and, in just a few seconds, appears available in the phone gallery.
In our video review, you can check how the app works and, of course, you can check one of the TimeLapses we did with this app. You may notice the exposure adjusting, something that can be overcome by buying the Pro version.
Being the Free version perfectly acceptable for many of the timelapses that you may want to, we thing that the Pro version is really worthed for advanced users. First of all, for big timelapses, you will need to save battery or have the charger plugged in. Exposure variations like the one our TimeLapse test can cause some undesirable effects on the final result. The Playback Rate on the Pro Version also allows you to set the speed to what you pretend without depending solely on the Record Frame Rate (you can actually have much more options to play with these 2 settings).
We kind of missed some video editing tools on the app. Regardless the fact that you have a timelapse video that you can immediately share with your friends, there are no options to add a Title, a background music or just a cropping tool if wish to cut some part of the video. For this, a 3rd party app is needed.5. Conclusion
If you are an Android user and want to do TimeLapses in a simple and fast way, this is the right app for you. The results are really nice and the MP4 videos output quality won't disappointed you. If you pretend some advanced stuff, then the Pro version is the one to go.
Here is a resume of our Pros and Cons about this app:Pros:
- The app doesn't keeps the images used to do the timelapses which gives two major outcomes: saves memory space and you won't get your gallery full of images.
- The process is very fast making your timelapse available almost immediately.
- All is done within the phone.
- The Free version allows you to make TimeLapses with already many options available.
- The Pro Version adds some important extra features, like battery save mode and exposure options.
- The fact that it doesn’t save the photos, makes it impossible to delete selected frames that, for some reason, you wish to remove.
- No options of video editing.
- The Pro Version is a bit expensive and above the price average of the market.
We think that, among the options available on the market, Droid TimeLapse is one of the best. The Free version allows users to get into the TimeLapse scene while the Pro Version gives advanced users more options.
So, feeling like doing some TimeLapses? Grab this app at Play Store and don’t forget to share your videos at our Mobile Video Gallery!
Name: FrameLapse- Time Lapse Camera | Platform: Android | Price: Free